Who is it for?
The RYA Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased course is designed for all lovers of astronavigation (sailors or not) and for those skippers aiming to get the Yachtmaster Ocean qualification to adventure into ocean waters.
It is the theory course that precedes the practical exam to achieve the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean qualification.
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased – Minimum requirements
None! Theory knowledge at Day Skipper level is recommended.
After obtaining the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Certificate, you will be able to sit the practical exam to achieve the Yachtmaster Ocean qualification. This is a different exam which needs to be organised separately.
You can see HERE the details of the requirements to attend the practical RYA Yachtmaster Ocean exam
What do you get?
The RYA Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased course will teach you how to use a sextant to determine your position by use of the sight reduction tables and the nautical almanac. You will also learn about the four stages of a passage plan and the basics of ocean navigation.
By the end of the week, you will:
– be comfortable in the use of a sextant to take sights for the sun, and also moon, planets and selected stars
– convert (‘reduce’) sights into a position and plot a fix onto a navigation chart
– be able to prepare an ocean passage plan through all its stages, taking vessel, weather, time of year, crew, etc into consideration
How to book
Scroll the list of the courses in the box to the right (desktop) or at the bottom (mobile) of the page, choose the date that suits you, and click on it to start the booking process.
If no courses are listed, please give us a call at +43 664 88360842 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can discuss how we can help
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased – Program
You will learn how a sextant works, the adjustments and corrections required, and how to take a ‘sun sight’. We will review the fundamentals of the astronavigation theory and then go through all the steps required to ‘reduce’ the sextant sightings onto a position fix.
We will do the same process for the moon, and also the key planets and stars.
Once comfortable with the sights and sights reductions, we will then proceed to plot them onto a chart and transfer your position. And we will do plenty of exercises along the way, until you are comfortable with all the steps.
The second big part of the course will cover passage planning and its key phases. We will go through the basics of ocean weather systems, so as to recognise an approaching storm and then discuss how to prepare for it
The exam to obtain the Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased certificate consists of a written examination divided in two:
– a first part where you will be asked to plot a position via sight reductions
– a second part where you will be asked to detail your considerations with regards to an ocean passage
Upon successful completion of the assessment paper, you will obtain the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased certificate.
What’s included and what is not:
- 40 hours of tuition from an RYA qualified instructor
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean training package, including:
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Handbook
- Exercise booklet, incl. plotting and sight reduction sheets
- Training sight reduction tables
- Training nautical almanac
- Yachtmaster Ocean shorebased certificate (if successful)
- Ocean qualifying passage
- Sextant sights for the practical exam
How to book
Scroll the courses list in the box to the right (desktop) or at the bottom (mobile) of the page. Choose the date that suits you, and click on it to start the booking process.
If no courses are shown, please give us a call at +43 664 88360842 or send us an email at email@example.com, so we can discuss how we can help